I sing both the old songs and my own original pop tunes, but I’m not nearly as famous as Michael Buble. I got his hardcover book from the library the other day– it’s called Michael Buble Onstage Offstage (released in late 2011), and I wanted to share with you what I learned about the famous singer.
Here are ten things you should know about Michael Buble:
10) Michael Buble is Canadian. He grew up in Burnaby, British Columbia.
9) His maternal grandpa, Mitch Santaga, introduced him to the old American standards.
8) Michael Buble once worked on a commercial salmon fishing boat. (That’s what his dad did for a living.)
7) Bing Crosby’s “Merry Christmas” album had a huge musical impact on him.
6) Michael Buble sang at Canadian Prime Minister Brian Mulroney’s daughter’s wedding, where he made a connection with legendary music producer David Foster (who was in attendance), which then lead to subsequent superstardom.
5) He married one of Argentina’s most famous actresses, Luisana Lopilato, and she’s in his video for arguably his biggest hit to date, “Haven’t Met You Yet.”
4) Luisiana, Michael’s wife, calls him “Cochinito,” which means “little pig.”
3) He has a custom-made ping pong table that goes everywhere with him; he loves to play.
2) He uses a Segway (upright scooter) backstage to get around.
1) Michael Buble is a huge hockey fan.
There are 80 pages, or so, of text in Michael’s book, where he writes very conversationally about his life, followed by almost 200 pages of pictures… of Michael. At the end of the book he says he’s not a big fan of having his picture taken; well, you’d never know it since this is more of a picture book of him “looking cool” in picture after picture. To me, this book seems designed for young girls who want to cut out pictures of the Boobster to make a collage and hang on their wall.
Overall, it’s a very nice book. One thing about Michael Buble is that he has superior marketing people behind him– from his website to fan club to merchandise available, he’s got a well-oiled machine working on his behalf to sell a boatload of music and merchandise. Chances are there will be more Boobster books down the line. He is a cash cow!